[NAFEX] successful bud grafts

Stefan Brandle sbrandle at css.tayloru.edu
Wed Aug 18 12:26:57 EDT 2004

On Aug 17, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Bob Hartman wrote:
. . .

>> Why put them in your mouth?  I never cut the bud until I am ready to
>> insert it.  From the time I cut it off the bud stick until it is in
>> place is about 3 to 5 seconds.
>

> I had the same question.  You mouth is full of bacteria, viruses,
> mammalian growth factors, enzymes that break down plant material, and
> who knows what else. I would try not to touch the cut surface with
> either my fingers or my mouth if possible.  But I've never done bud
> grafting, so maybe that's not an issue.

Good question. It seemed easier to prepare a bunch of buds at once. I read  or heard somewhere that commercial budders put a bunch of buds in their mouths and spit them out as necessary. So saliva, human viruses, etc. didn't count. There was a non-totally scientific report in Pomona a while back about how clean the grafts had to be. As I recall, this guy was answering a question about that from his niece (?) by doing an experiment. Although not exactly conclusive, he reported that the cleanliness wasn't such a big deal.

However, it makes sense that you might as well have everything involved be as clean as possible. So I'll try again -- I know it's late -- and see whether I can keep everything properly clean. Wish me luck.  :-)

-- sb  In zone 5b wondering where I left my grafting knives. Last time, my knife showed up the day after I had given up hunting, purchased and received a new grafting knife! Are you sure these things are truly inanimate?