[NAFEX] Bud Grafting

AL PERNICHELE pernichele at msn.com
Tue Aug 17 00:07:54 EDT 2004

Greetings all,
I wait about 4 weeks before removing tape from chip budding with good results, but have removed tape the spring after grafting on a few with no problem. I believe most books recommend 2 weeks which is probably adequate in most situations. I just don't get around to it for a month. A nursery down the street removes tape 10 to 20 days after budding with good results.

Now a question. My budding failures , grafting macs and spartans on 26 and bud 9, usually occur consecutively with maybe 5 to 10 mostly failures in a row.   This leads me to believe I sometimes select poor budwood.  I collect budwood  from my orchard and use it immediately. Anyone have recommendations on selecting budwood??  I understand you should only use shoots which have set terminal buds.  Is this correct?
Al
Corvallis,MT