[NAFEX] successful bud grafts

derry&bill wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 16 16:44:52 EDT 2004

Dan,

It may depend on where you live, but in south coastal BC (usually cool damp Falls
and wet winters), we leave the tapes on about six weeks. They should not be left
on over the winter or the bud may rot.

We cut back above the bud in late February. We don't see any growth until next
May.

Derry

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Derry Walsh & Bill Chase
wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web page  http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML

I chip grafted apples last week.  What are NAFEXer's recommendations for length of
time to leave the budding tape on?  Assuming the tape is removed at the
recommended time and that the buds  pass the fingernail nick test, should they
show growth this year or not till next spring?  Thanks.

                                    Dan Hammond