[NAFEX] apricots and sweetness

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Mon Aug 16 13:46:02 EDT 2004

Mark,

Apricots are not grown commercially here on the coast, and I know of
only one private tree, espaliered on the south wall of a house, so I
have never eaten an apricot that has been ripened on the tree.  I
have bottled many cases of apricots from the interior valley.  Some
years these were picked too green to ripen well, but in all cases,
they were hard when picked and I had to spread them out in the house
and wait for them to "ripen" before bottling.  We prefer them bottled
to fresh, and this may be because they are rather mealy when fresh
and are juicier when bottled.  I think the flavour is more intense
when bottled also, but it is rather hard to separate texture and
flavour, so that may not really be so.

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8