[NAFEX] Rubus Tayberry

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Aug 13 19:49:07 EDT 2004

I had Tayberry for years here in Oregon and have concluded that because it
was bred in Scotland, it needs a very cool, Scottish type climate to develop
best flavor.  Here, it was similar enough to Loganberry, it wasn't worth the
difference.  Also, the berry not only stayed attached to the core, the core
tended to stay attached to the stem.  The result was that trying to pick it
usually meant smashing it.  And yes, it is actually a raspberry-blackberry
hybrid.   The Rubus genera has all sorts of strange numbers of chromosomes
and if you choose parents with the right chromosome numbers, you can make
all sorts of crosses.
-Lon ROmbough

Anyone who has ever eaten Tayberry sauce or jelly, wants to buy a tayberry
plant.

They grow very well in south coastal B.C. Last year was the first year we
had
winter damage (die-back of about 2' on the canes) 'cos we had a sudden drop
intemp
in December fro about 10°C  to -12°C. They will withstand -12°C if they are
hardened up gradually.

The negatives are that the core/hull stays with the fruit so if eating them
fresh
you will be spitting out the hull (as we spit out the seeds in the grapes)
so they
are better suited for cooking. I usually cook fruit and hull and strain the
mess
to get a juice which I make into jelly or sauce.

Another negative is that it is very thorny - small hairlike thorns.

Some would say that another negative is that the canes grow about 12' in a
year so
you need to have space.

The positives are the flavour, low/no disease, low/no pests, aroma from a
jar of
jelly.

We actually mix tayberry juice with black currant juice and sometimes with
blackberry juice and raspberry juice to make a delicious sauce/juice.

They are well worth growing, perhaps along a fence line.

They were developed at the Scottish Crop Research Institute on the Tay River
in
Scotland, from a black raspberry (SCRI 626/7) and an Aurora blackberry.

Raintree Nursery sells it and says it is a cross between a loganberry and a
black
raspberry. I'm pretty sure  the parent was not a loganberry.

I had a thornless, but it died. I think the thornless is a chimera and any
damage
to the stem means the thorny variety will take over. The thorns are really
not a
problem.