[NAFEX] Re: blackberry wine question

robscott at freeshell.org robscott at freeshell.org
Thu Aug 12 01:11:22 EDT 2004

Lisa,
Good luck with the Balckberry wine this year. I started brewing this year
and I've got 6 carboys going now (mint champagne, rhubarb wine, red
currant wine, aronia wine, sweet mead, and er, a "sugar wine").

First of all yes, multiply all the ingredients except the yeast. Unless
you're making more than 5 gallons at once a single yeast package will
suffice.

If you're using 3.5#, or even 7# fruit per gallon, you're probably looking
at a recipe that involves adding sugar. 3.5# will probably get you enough
flavor for a gallon and I'd more likely make an extra gallon with 7# and
just double the sugar. A hydrometer ($5-10 tool for measuring sugar
content -- i.e. potential alcohol) will tell you if you exceed the ammount
of sugar the yeast can digest. At a certain point the quantity of alcohol
kills the wine yeast and the rest of the sugar is "residual" -- the sweet
flavor. Too much sugar will give you a Robitussin-like beverage. The easy
way to do this is to match the sugar at the beginning to the ammount the
yeast will digest before dying. Then you will have a dry wine, which you
can sweeten to taste before bottling.

Also, when you rack the wine out of the bucket you don't want a lot of air
in your "secondary fermenter" -- carboys are easiest to find in 3 5 and 6
gallon sizes, so a 2 gallon batch might be a little awkward.

Good luck!
Rob Scott
Urbana, IL 5b/6a
Oyster Mushrooms growing out of our compost bins...