[NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 11 13:03:57 EDT 2004

At 09:34 AM 8/11/2004 -0700, Mark wrote:
>When you said they set and matured a good crop of fruit last year, are you
>referring to last summer?
Yes; last summer. I mainly picked & ate the fruits as I passed by them on
the lawnmower.

>   If so, how are they doing this summer?  I understand that now is the
> harvest time for beach plums in their native setting.
I'll have to check, I'm not sure both set fruit this year, and since I've
not had time to do hardly any budding this season, I've rarely gotten
farther away from the house than the blueberries & pears, ever since the
mulberries finished up.

A co-worker brought in a handful of small, unripe plums this morning - he'd
noticed them in a fencerow on his farm earlier this summer, and was
surprised to see fruits still there this weekend, as the native Chickasaw
plums are long gone.  My thought is perhaps they're P.americana, but I'm
not that familiar with that species - have never knowingly seen it in the
wild here in the Southeast, but I do have a few seedling P.americana in the
nursery beds, that I purchased for use as rootstocks.  Guess I need to have
a look at them to see if the fruits are similar.  Guess they might be
P.spinosa? maybe?  Pretty bitter, but they were still hard and mostly
green.  He's going to pull a twig & leaves for possible ID purposes.

Lucky