[NAFEX] Wild fruit (beach plums) provide a tart treat

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Wed Aug 11 12:34:40 EDT 2004

Lucky,

When you said they set and matured a good crop of fruit last year, are
you referring to last summer?  If so, how are they doing this summer?  I
understand that now is the harvest time for beach plums in their native
setting.

Also, the Oikos website that you provided a link to lists a Dwarf Beach
Plum 'NANA' which sounds interesting.

"Precocious fruiting dwarf form developed by finding five individuals
from 4000 plants that fruited one year from seed and then isolating them
from the rest of our planting. Fruit size is a little smaller than the
species but the productivity is greater. True to type from seed. Unlike
the more typical species this form is slower growing and more compact so
the plant doesn't lean over with age. Even if you are not into the fruit
the dense white flowers in spring are worth the wait of winter. Really a
beautiful ornamental."

I would like to hear from anyone that has tried this plum.

-Mark Lee, Seattle