[NAFEX] request recipe for black currant sherbet

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Mon Aug 9 17:46:22 EDT 2004

Black Currant - Pear Ice
2 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups strained black currants (simmer a few minutes first so straining
is easier)
2 cups pear juice
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and boil mixture for 5 minutes,
add black currants and pear juice.  Pour into freezer trays and freeze.
Remove from freezer two or three times during freezing process and beat
rapidly to prevent crystals from forming.
-----------------------------------

And although they're not for sherbet, the following two recipes sound
great:

Pork Chops with Black Currant Jam Sauce

1/4 c. black currant jam
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
6  1"-thick pork chops, trimmed of all fat
1/3 c. wine vinegar
freshly ground black pepper (optional)
orange slices for garnish
In a small bowl, whisk together the jam and mustard.  Fry the chops in a
nonstick pan.  Just before the chops are done,  top each chop with the
jam-mustard mixture.  Cover the pan and cook for final two minutes.
Remove the cover and remove each chop to a warmed plate.
Cool fry pan to a warm, not hot, temperature.  Pour wine vinegar into
the pan and whisk to remove the bits of pork and jam.  Pour this sauce
over each chop.
Season the chops with fresh ground pepper, if desired.  Garnish with an
orange slice and serve.
This low-fat main course serves 6.
--------------
Grilled Duck Breast with Black Currant Jelly-Herbs de Provence Marinade

Yield: 6 servings

2  1-lb. Muscovy (or other duck) breasts
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. dried herbs (herbs de Provence or mixed dried herbs)
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2  Tbsp. black currant jelly
grated zest and juice of 1  lime
freshly cracked black pepper

Combine ingredients for marinade in a medium shallow pan until blended.
Add duck breasts to pan and distribute the marinade evenly over all
sides of duck.  Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours.

Preheat BBQ grill to high.  Cutting only through the skin and fat, score
the duck breasts with five diagonal lines.   Grill the breasts, skin
side down, 1 to 2 minutes just to caramelize the skin.  Use a water
sprayer to reduce flare-ups from the duck fat.   Duck will color very
quickly.

Remove promptly from grill and transfer duck, skin side down to a small
roasting pan.  Place on upper rack of BBQ grill.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes,
or until breast is still very rare.

Drain off duck fat and turn breasts over.  Cook another 3 to 4 minutes
until duck breasts are medium rare.

Cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.   Serve pan
drippings as sauce.