[NAFEX] Pear Ripening (Core Rot)

Bob Hartman hartmansfruittrees at wport.com
Thu Aug 5 15:05:37 EDT 2004

Pear ripening experts:

I know that it is recommended to pick late summer/fall ripening pears before they are ripe and if you don't you
have a chance of having the core rot.  I usually check into picking when the pears start to drop (not preharvest
drop) and also when they start to turn from a green to a slight lightening to yellow.  This has worked great for
most varieties.  But for some it is difficult to tell for sure.  I had some Ubileen pears on my trees for the
first time this year and when I went to cut them open most all of them had the core rot.  I have problems with
Clapps Favorite in some years doing the same thing.

Are there any cultural considerations to keep in mind?  Any fertilizers and/or trace elements?  What are your
suggestions and experiences?  On some varieties I rarely ever have any core rot.

Thanks,
Bob Hartman
Western Washington