[NAFEX] Plums and early ripening

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 08:32:01 EDT 2004

<I think it is a good idea to have lots of pollinizers nearby for
<maximum production, not just two different ones.

Thanks for all the plum variety advice, everyone. I remember a post last
year that emphasized planting plums like a thicket - for pollinizing.
Is this because of early bloom and few bees?
What is close enough?
I really don't know what diameter to expect of a mature plum in zone 3 on
heavy soil. I planted one batch on a 10' grid, the others on the 15' grid of
the apple orchard.
Perhaps one should graft in a pollinizer on each tree?
Thanks , Del

Del Stubbs  http://www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3