[NAFEX] another ID request

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 4 17:01:21 EDT 2004

At 04:49 PM 8/4/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>A person in the Edible Landscape forum of GardenWeb has posted a photo of
>a plant that looks like it is in the Elaeagnus family of plants.  Here is
>a link to the photo:
>http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/edible/msg08130225796.html
>He lives in North Carolina and the plant grows along a river.  He found it
>while Fruit Exploring, so it seems OK to ask fellow NAFEXers to help with
>the ID.  The fruit look similar to Autumn Olive but seem more red and
>bunched together.  The leaves also look different from Autumn Olive.  Any
>guesses?

Mark,
I'll defer to Hector  or any other experienced Eleagnus affectionados, but
it looks to me like Autumn Olive(E.umbellata) - or what my dad calls
'bronze eleagnus' - which I see fairly widely naturalized(or invading,
depending on your perspective) throughout the understory of the woods in
east-central Alabama, when I get a chance to go home to visit.
The berries have a pleasant, tart flavor, as best I recall, and, I presume,
are relished by a wide array of wildlife, having been recommended for
planting as a wildlife food source in the not too distant past.

Lucky