[NAFEX] need help with cherry ID

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Aug 3 18:54:59 EDT 2004

I first tasted Jan and Joy at Professor Meader's place and I'd have thought
they were regular pie cherries.  Of course it depends on what you like to
eat, whether or not you would eat them fresh or not, but I found them easy
enough to eat fresh.
   My experience with Prunus tomentosa isn't unique in the Willamette
Valley.  Oregon State U. trialed them many years ago and had essentially the
same results.  Spring here is long, cool, though not usually freezing, with
lots of rain.  We can have more than two months of cool, wet weather after
the last frost date, and it's not unusual for it to last longer than that.
Other crops besides P. tomentosa have regular disease problems here because
of that long, cold spring.   P. besseyi has the same results as P.
tomentosa, for example.  Anthracnose on apples and pears can be a mess.
American plums like Toka, Superior, Waneta, etc. are short lived and rarely
set  any fruit.  They also get dieback much like P. tomentosa and P.
besseyi.    Japanese plums do fine, though, and European plums are fine,
too.
-Lon Rombough

I have never tasted them, but have heard -- right from Dr. Meader, I think
-- that they are not cherries that you would eat out of hand. Nanking
cherry, on the other hand, is very tasty right off the bush. I'd be curious
about the experiences of others, in addition to Lon, in the Pacific
Northwest with Nanking cherries. Perhaps Lon's poor luck with them is due to
factors specific to his site and not general in the Northwest.