[NAFEX] need help with cherry ID

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue Aug 3 14:24:02 EDT 2004

I have all the three of the P. japonica (Korean bush cherry) hybrids in
my mother's yard down in Kansas, where they yield very well.  No disease
problems that I can tell, but then the climate in west-central Kansas is
unlikely to have extended periods of high humidity, due to both heat and
the prevailing winds.

Up near Brainerd, Minn., Del Stubbs has some seedlings grown from the
pits of mom's fruit, but I don't believe they are fruiting yet.  There
will likely be some segregation of fruiting characteristics in these.

I always saw the dense bushy growth of Jan, Joy and Joel as a real plus;
seems they ripen very well with minimal bird predation. -- Sam
Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)