[NAFEX] need help with cherry ID

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Mon Aug 2 15:56:00 EDT 2004

I was recently in Hailey, Idaho near Sun Valley.  While playing in a
city park with my kids, I found some 4 foot tall bushes that had leaves
that looked similar to beech.  The branches were loaded with small
cherries, about 1/2 inch diameter.  Unlike chokecherries that are very
round and glossy, these mystery cherries were like sweet cherries in
miniature without any sheen.  The color was hot orangy-red, like
Montmorency tart cherries.  Inside were tiny appropriately scaled cherry
pits.  The flavor was neither bitter nor sour, just slightly fruity and
maybe a little sweet.  It was like someone took my pie cheery tree from
back home, shrunk it down to a bush, took away the dominant sour flavor,
and replaced the normal cherry leaves with beech leaves.  I wish I had
photos, but the handful of fruit I gabbed has now turned to a fermented
mush.  Any ideas what this mystery fruit is?
-Mark Lee, Seattle