[NAFEX] Pruning roots

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 23:24:54 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/30/2004 8:19:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
pinewoodel at hotmail.com writes:

> My ignorant understanding of all root pruning is
> that its goal is to both stimulate new root growth, and to equalize the
> roots to whatever pruning has been done to the trees' top.

There is disagreement of pruning at planting. I've read from University
research that root growth is stimulated by enzymes generated by the terminal tips
of limbs and that pruning the tops can actually slow down root growth. The new
advise is not to prune the tops and balancing the tops & bottoms isn't
necessary.

Jerry