[NAFEX] When will my apple tree bloom?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Apr 27 22:49:42 EDT 2004

Thanks.  It doesn't look very vigorous to me, but I don't know what
"normal" is.  It's grown about a foot each year, I'd guess, and the
trunk is about 3/4" caliper at 1' up.  Truth be told, I've been
disappointed with its vegetative growth, too, as it is still entirely
within reach of the deer.  (I guess they'd have to reach up to get the
leader this spring, but only because I staked it.)  It had no net
growth the first year, due to almost no roots when I planted it (the
vendor apologized for the quality of the remaining stock, and I agreed
to buy anyhow) and some deer-pruning over the winter.  In addition to
the 1' terminal growth at the top and along a few branches, I also get
a few dozen spurs that grow less than an inch.

I suspect the problem is competition from a nearby oak, for both
sunlight and soil, which is why I've decided to cut down on other
competition, but who knows.  I also have a half dozen grafts on a
nearby crab that don't bloom.  They are 4 and 5 years old, and show no
interest in blooming.  The crab blooms profusely - it is in tight
cluster, now, and it's really obvious which branches are grafted - they
are the ones with no pink.  Some of the grafts grow weakly, but others
are quite vigorous - the ashmead's kernel branch puts on more than a
foot each year, and now has about 8 terminal points.  The crab doesn't
get full sun, either, but I thought since it was healthy and bloomed,
it should be a good enough location.  But perhaps crabs are just more
floriforous than larger apples.

But hey, if sudden oak death makes it up the coast, i will have far too
much sun.  :(  Being a pessimist, I've started researching alternative
shade trees. . .Blight resistant chestnuts may be only a few years
away.

Ginda