[NAFEX] dwarfing scarring

Joe Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Mon Apr 26 10:18:33 EDT 2004

> Hello All,
>
> Is it possible to dwarf a tree using scar tissue?
>
> I only ask, as last season I had a spare apple rootstock and decided
I would try to bonsai it.  I wrapped a piece of plastic coated, copper
wire around the whip from the ground up.  I then promptly forgot about
it.

> Now the wire created a wound that spirales up the tree, and the bark
is healing over it.  Every spiral of the wire creates a scar that makes
nutrient flow more difficult.

> Will this work as a dwarfing technique?

According to the rabbits that I hired to scar the trunks of my fruit
tree, scarring induces early fruiting which will slow growth rate.  The
scarring inhibits the flow of carbohydrates to the roots.  Many authors
list high Carbohydrate/Nitrogen ratio as one of the things that tips
maturing buds into fruiting mode.  In time, the effects of the scarring
will be overcome by the tree and it will resume a more normal growth
pattern. Then it is time to hire more rabbits.

I think scarring predisposes the trunks to internal rot.  Also, it is
difficult to enforce quality control with the local strain of rabbits.
They tend to be much too thorough.

> Just curious.
>
> Later,
> Tom