[NAFEX] When will my apple tree bloom?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Apr 24 07:39:03 EDT 2004

I planted a Jonathan on M111 four years ago.  For the last three years,
it has had two distinct types of buds.  Every year, I hope that the fat
buds at the ends of spurs will flower, but they never do.  The little
buds that lie flat to the branches grow new branches, and the fat buds
produce a ring of leaves.

So, does this mean that the tree is "mature" enough, but isn't getting
enough sun/nutrients/water/???  Or do I just need to wait?  The tree is
not in an ideal spot (I don't have any ideal spots), but it gets sun
most of the day, and this year I plan to kill back the grass around it
more aggressively.

Ginda
Eastern Mass., zone 6
where the buds are just opening, and the daffodils and forsythia are in
bloom.