[NAFEX] pear repository in Corvallis WAS using old scionwood

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Fri Apr 23 11:34:05 EDT 2004

Mike,

My advice is first check commercial sources, NAFEX members, and local
scionwood sales for varieties that you are looking for.  If you can’t
find it through those sources, then a request to one of the repositories
could possibly supply what you are looking for.  This link will tell you
the procedure for pears:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/dist/dist.html

Corvallis will accept requests by e-mail.  Here is the information you
need to supply:

Please group the items in your order by genus, and provide the following
information:

  Name, Address, Phone, Fax, Email.

  Statement of research interest/intended use of plant material.

  Plant name and, where possible, inventory number.

  Are you requesting seeds, cuttings, plants or in vitro cultures?

  Copy of Import Permit with English translation (foreign requests).

  Do you have any special needs or conditions? Timing? Packaging?

  Will you accept Virus negative material only?

  May we substitute duplicate clonal germplasm from a different source
of a similar seedlot in the case of species material?

They ask that you request 6 months in advance of the shipment date.
Pear scionwood ship in December and January, so get your request in
early in the summer.

I have been careful to request only varieties I can’t find elsewhere.
The only time my request was denied was when I asked for grape cuttings.
I live in Washington State, and importing grape cuttings into the state
without a permit is not allowed.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.

-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 7B/8A