[NAFEX] of sandwich bags and apples

Stefan Brandle sbrandle at css.tayloru.edu
Tue Apr 20 11:05:11 EDT 2004

Bagging with sandwich bags sounds interesting. Perhaps impractical for
large plantings -- as Tom Olenio pointed out -- and maybe a lost cause
in Indiana -- I'm aware of Ed Fackler's cautions about the feasibility
of organic growing here -- but the siren song is just so attractive.  :-)

So I'm going to try giving it a shot with sandwich bags, paper bags, and
the proverbial control group with nothing. Expect a report in September
or thereabouts. If more people are willing to join in and someone with
knowledge about how to do a study properly wants to give advice on what
to do, that would be great. It is worth finding out whether this stuff
is feasible for home growers in the midwest, as opposed to places with
lower pest/disease pressure. The happy bagging stories seem to come from
Oregon and such, but that may not transfer.

Elsewhere in the news, my lone nanking cherry -- it's buddy bowed out a
couple years ago -- has been flowering up a storm, but no pollinator. I
felt sorry for it (and perhaps just a hint of vested interest on my
part) and planted another couple nanking cherries this week, so maybe
next year we'll have something. My actinidia look much less like a cane
forest and more like a real arbor after my pruning in early March. Now
if the one male can just do his thing and the pollinators cooperate. The
depressing thing is the deer. Last summer, I put fairly large plastic
deer netting fences around a number of the trees and bushes. That really
made a difference, but I ran out of time and supplies and didn't do
everything. The ones that didn't get fenced got seriously munched. I
think that our yard must be high on the deer's progressive dinner
schedule. I keep wanting to do something crazy like put in an acre of
hardwoods, but thoughts of the deer act as a significant deterrent.

-- sb