[NAFEX] asian pear on pear rootstock

Lisa Almarode lisaalmarode at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 14:56:40 EDT 2004

I have a multi-grafted asian pear with 4 varieties,
plus bartlett - i.e, scionwood.  I also have several
pear rootstocks (OHxF 513), and an itchy grafting
knife.  I believe asian pears are compatible with
pear rootstock, correct?  Can pears be successfully
(easily) bud grafted or is regular dormant grafting
better?

On a happy note, I think the two pear grafts I did
may be making it!  I was worried as the scionwood had
developed a bit in the fridge.  Two of the apples I
did... well, I'm an optimist.  Among the pears is
Colette.  This was described glowingly to me, but I
can't find any good info on the web.  It's
"everbearing", and as I recall didn't need to be
ripened in cold storage.  What's a good reference
that describes even such rarities as Colette pear and
Swiss Gourmet apple?

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Zone 7 Sunset Zone 7 1800'