[NAFEX] mycorrhizal

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Wed Apr 14 08:10:16 EDT 2004

Hi Bert,

Did you know there was a clonal genebank for mycorrhizal in
Canada?  Not sure how they distribute though.

There is also a product called "Myke" in Ontario nurseries.
It is mycorrhizal formulated 3 ways (I can only remember 2);
shrubs/trees and vegetables.  It comes in 1 liter tubs I
believe.

The problem with all retail mycorrhizal is that you have no
idea how effective it is.  Here is a study paper;
http://invam.caf.wvu.edu/otherinfo/commercial/commercial_MIPs.pdf

If I am reading the conclusions properly the best samples
tested (direct from supplier) has about 34% of
effectiveness.  This is what they say about samples acquired
from retail shelves; "That being said, it also is likely
that the inoculants tested represent the “best” each company
has to offer. They are not products obtained from the shelf
after distribution nor from clients. We have conducted a
limited number of tests of such product samples, and none
show the positive results reported here.  Possible reasons
for this disparity are numerous, ranging from problems with
storage conditions (heat or organic amendments, for example,
accelerate degradation of propagules even when the medium is
dry), duration of storage, handling, conditions of
application, detrimental conditions during early stages of
mycorrhiza formation, etc."

If the genebank will supply you, they may be your best bet.

Later,
Tom

bert dunn wrote:

> Good morningLooking for a source in Canada of
> mycorrhizal.Thanks in advance            Bert Bert Dunn
> RR4   Tottenham   Zone 4b
> www.hardygrapes.tottenham..on.ca
> www.littlefatwino.com/bertslist.html
> Think Blending-Not Varietals

> (also can be used to change other email options):

> Message archives are here:

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 5b