[NAFEX] Opuntia?

Hector Black hblack at twlakes.net
Thu Apr 8 09:30:09 EDT 2004

Re: [NAFEX] Opuntia?I have an Opuntia that is hardy to 5 below zero.   Has large pads with a few stiff thorns and lots of those tiny bristles that are so hard to pull out.  Fruit is edible but nothing extraordinary.  I've never heard of any of them being poisonous.
    I did correspond with some researchers in Mexico a few years ago who had an article in "Pomology" about improved varieties that they were working with.  I'm sure they would share seeds, but I'm not sure if you can find that on the web.
    There are also wild opuntias here and I understand there are species that grow up near the Arctic Circle.
    Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN