[NAFEX] Opuntia?

Dr. Ethan Natelson natelson at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 7 18:36:51 EDT 2004

Dear Jackie,

      Here in Texas several years ago when we had a severe drought, the
cattle ranchers would burn the thorns off these cacti with blow torches and
use the plants as fodder.  I know several species are thornless and do have
a berry-like fruit.  I don't know if the yield is enough to justify
planting, however.  I am sure some will comment.  In general this sounds
like a plant more likely to interest California Rare Fruit members or those
interested in ornamental plants than those in NAFEX.

                                                               Regards, Ethan