[NAFEX] Grapevine regrowth

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Sun Jun 29 18:07:47 EDT 2003

That's exactly it - the shoots are coming from a mature root system, so the
vigor is pouring into them.  That's what makes the leaves so big and rough.
Nothing to worry about at all.  Just keep the shoots supported and remove
extra ones so the energy is channeled into the ones you really want.
-Lon Rombough

Hello All,

I had three grape vines killed to the soil level by last Januaries cold
snap (Vanessa, Himrod, NY Muscat).  I have noted that the new growth from
the ground is quite accelerated.  The Himrod and Vanessa have grown over
5' high in a months time.

My question is in regards to the leaves.  This new growth has leaves that
oversized and are very rough (alligator like).  Is this rough texture on
the leaves due to their very rapid growth this season?

Having the root system of a mature vine, they sure can grow fast.

Thanks,