[NAFEX] figs,mulberry and jujuge oh my!

Needham Greg needhamgr at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 15:14:20 EDT 2003

Mark (and anybody else interested in jujubes),
     When I have tried growing jujubes in spots that only got part sun they
have survived, but not fruited.  They seem to do better the more sun and
heat they get.  That having been said about my own experience only, I do
know how you can have your questions answered- contact Roger Meyer at 16531
Mount Shelly Circle in Fountain Valley, CA  92708-2440- ask for a pricelist
and how to order the jujube book!  Roger has by far the largest number of
interesting jujube cultivars for sale (at least to my knowledge), including
some new (to the U.S.) Chinese and Russian cultivars he has made available
in the last few years.  I am thinking that the Russian ones in particular
might be more worth a try if you have less heat, but he does sell Honey Jar
too- and Lon is right, it has very sweet and flavorful fruit.  Roger has
always sent me great plants, and he has sure collected some wonderful
cultivars!  I also highly recommend his Jujube Primer and Sourcebook- it is
great reading and is the only source I am aware of that gives a lot of info
on jujubes- everything is covered in this book!  If you are interested in
jujubes you owe it to yourself to get a copy!  And ask Roger which
cultivar(s) will thrive and produce in your neck of the woods- he will know!
  Hope this helps-

Greg