[NAFEX] Too much rain, wind = lost apple tree

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Jun 20 15:32:28 EDT 2003

By anology, tree roses and figs are grown in areas too cold for normal
survival by digging the roots loose on one side and laying the whole tree
over for the winter, to be covered with mulch or other protection.  Some
such trees have this done for years successfully.  I'd wager that if the
tree was righted and re-set, coupled with good bracing, it will recover.
-Lon Rombough

The key line, to me, is "There is some damage to the existing roots."   How
much ?   If "a lot", I'd be tempted to give up.   If medium, I'd consider
some pruning work-- starting with the branches which are going to be shaded
when you get the tree propped up (I bet you get it completely propped up).

Or, NAFEXrs, should he turn this into a horizontal tree, so that it can't
blow over again ?

tc