[NAFEX] Too much rain, wind = lost apple tree

Ward Barnes ward_p_barnes at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 11:05:46 EDT 2003

Last night's rain in combination with a steady, hard wind spelled doom for
one of my mature apple trees.  The ground is soft from a spring of heavier
then normal amount of rain and there appears to be no lateral roots on one
side of the tree.  Without that root in place and the wind coming from the
same direction the tree blew over.  There is some damage to the existing
roots.  Can this 15 to 20 year old apple(I do not know the variety or root
stock) be saved?  If so how?  Do I need to heavily prune the top to reduce
the weight of the tree and then stake or is it better to replace the tree
with something else?

Thanks in advance,
Ward Barnes
Wake, VA, costal zone 7.