[NAFEX] Native plums

Sam Franc franc at oregonfast.net
Thu Jun 19 22:18:07 EDT 2003

Ed Fackler wrote:

>Greg:
>
>Hollywood is excellent quality and a fairly nice ornamental (maroon red
>foliage).
>However, it is not completely compatible with a lot of common (domestica)
>rootstocks.
>
>Possibly someone can tell us what stock is best suited for Hollywood.
>
>All Red was mediocre at best in So. Indiana.

Hollywood grows here on the Oregon coast.
It blooms very early along with Elephant Heart.
I got it as a pollinator for EH, but it does not seem to work as there
are no bees out at that time of year.
That is Feb, when it is still cool (40 to 45) and rainy.
H sets a few fruit, but none on EH.
It is a willowy tree that does not get thick branches like EH.
What fruit I get is good tasteing, but on the small side.
It is grafted on other varieties.
I have a couple started on Wild Plum and Citation.
Sam