[NAFEX] Native plums

Needham Greg needhamgr at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 19 16:36:30 EDT 2003

I have a couple of small seedling chickasaw plums around my place, plus one
tree of a cultivar (called "Guthrie", I think) I got a few years ago from
Mail Order Natives.  The little ones are just to the point of having bloomed
for the first time this spring, and the Guthrie tree has had a nice little
crop of plums- its first year with fruit.  We just ate the last few fruit,
and they were very yellow inside and out and pretty good.  No curculio
damage (though I had plenty on my apples :-)  This tree is really pretty,
and so far shows no sign of suckering, rather it is making a decent single
trunk.  I love plums, but until now have only ever seen plums around here
set huge crops only to rot every single fruit in a heartbreaking way.  This
makes me very excited about my chickasaw plums!   Does anyone know other
plums (or other Prunus spp. worth eating fresh) that can be grown in the
southeast that will produce good, usable crops without spraying?  I have
thought about trying Jan/Joy/Joel for pie cherries.....
What about All Red and Hollywood for plums?  Thanks-

Greg