[NAFEX] buttercup

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 18 09:18:07 EDT 2003

At 11:59 PM 6/17/2003 -0400, Ginda wrote:
>I have some buttercup, too, growing in the forsythia hedge.  Is it so
>noxious a weed that you would try to eradicate it?  It has stayed in the
>same place for several years, and doesn't seem to be doing anything else
>any harm.

Ginda,
In my lawn(I suppose it's there) or in flower beds(I don't have any), I
don't know that I'd get too worked up about meadow buttercup, but in the
pastures, it is a nuisance, and seems to exert an allelopathic effect(I may
be imagining this), or maybe it just crowds out more desirable
grasses/legumes.  I've not DONE anything to diminish it, but will be doing
a total kill on the upper 1/2 of the farm this fall and re-seeding, so I've
been holding off on spraying any chemicals - other than spot treatment for
thistles.

Lucky