[NAFEX] Plum questions...

Mauch1 at aol.com Mauch1 at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 12:21:04 EDT 2003

Gene,

I'm having similar frustrations here in zone 6 PA.  I have two
Japanese plums, Elephant Heart and Purple Heart.  They don't
bloom "quite" synchronously.  And one (I can't remember which
at the moment) blooms rather sparsely.  One of them did retain
a few plumlets for a while, but I think the continuous rain
did them in.  I grafted Santa Rosa on one tree and Shiro on
the other this spring to hope improve pollination going
forward. If I had it to over, I'd plant them together as
discussed in this forum previously (please see question below.)
I've had decent luck getting Euro plums to flower, but I lost
Stanley (?delayed transplanting shock?), and I now have Early
Lambert which is not self-fertile.  Gene, you mentioned Red
Heart, but what are you hoping to have pollinate it?  European
plums to my knowledge won't pollinate Japanese, and Reine
Claude's are generally not self-fertile (from what I've read).

Question:  In this forum dual planting of plums has been
"promoted", but my impression is that it was generally in
reference to Japanese plums.  I am getting "tight" (those with
small properties may now laugh derisively) on space I want to
use for fruit.  Any opinions on planting 3 trees together of
the European plum type?  Any opinions welcome.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N    75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation