[NAFEX] Plum questions...

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon Jun 16 10:48:56 EDT 2003

European plums can take up to 12 years to come into bearing.   Though some
of the dwarfing stocks can hasten it a bit.  I don't care Pixy because it is
shallow rooted and needs water where St. Julian wouldn't.   My preference
would be to graft on Pixy and plant the tree in a hole deep enough that I
could gradually fill it in.  Once the tree came into bearing, fill in above
the scion and let  it root.  The own rooted tree would grow to full size,
but you wouldn't have to wait for it to bear.
I have had the old Peach plum several times and finally gave it up.  It is
so disease prone that it's a rare year when you get more than a few fruits.
And though it's very early, there are so many other fruits around at the
time it's ripe, it isn't that interesting.
-Lon Rombough
Still waiting, after 8+ and 6+ years, respectively, for Green Gage and
Peach European plums to fruit - the GG has had one branch that has bloomed
the past two  years, but no fruit set.