[NAFEX] Plum questions...

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jun 16 10:26:50 EDT 2003

At 10:05 AM 6/16/2003 -0400, Gene wrote:
>         I'm getting pretty frustrated in my plum-growing efforts here in
>western NC (zone 6).  My Red Heart has flowered the past 3 years, but nary a
>plum.  Late frosts are the big problem (like most of us on the east coast, I
>suspect).  My Riene Claude D'Oullins is about 8 years old and hasn't yet
>flowered. Are the Europeans slow to mature?  Are European plums generally
>later blooming than Japanese or hybrids?  Any recommended varieties for east
>coast climate that typically experiences late freezes?

I've got one fruit set on AU Rubrum and none on AU Homeside - both Japanese
hybrid selections from my alma mater, Auburn University.
Still waiting, after 8+ and 6+ years, respectively, for Green Gage and
Peach European plums to fruit - the GG has had one branch that has bloomed
the past two  years, but no fruit set.
Also have another plum, from scions Lon sent me years ago - and I've lost
the ID - don't know if it's the Burbank seedless or a numbered
selection.  It's grafted on P.angustifolia - the only stonefruit rootstock
I had available at the time - which is suckering profusely, but no blooms
on that one, either.
Have a little (expanding) clump of P.angustifolia(Chickasaw plum) that I
rescued from the cow  pasture several  years ago.  It's got a heavy crop of
fruits.  Small, but tasty, and with minimal insect damage.  m beginning to
think that the native is gonna be my best bet for reliable fruiting.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY