[NAFEX] kaki persimmon questions

philip sauber mrtejas at lycos.com
Sun Jun 15 22:38:37 EDT 2003

You have the opposite experience to me.  My Japanese persimmon trees drop almost almost all of their fruit. My saijo is 4 years old and 10 feet tall and still dropped most of it's fruit this year.  I've budded a good pollinator "chocolate" to a branch so maybe next year they all won't drop.  I've heard pollinated persimmon fruit don't drop as much.  This year I budded chocolate, brad sample,and honan red to my saijo tree.  To my unknown variety tree, I grafted fuyu, ichkekeijiro, suruga, hana fuyu, and giombo.  My neighbor's tree bears heavily, like 5 bushels every other year and still it drops quite a high percentage of fruit.
Phil