[NAFEX] Rhubarb harvest question

Art Petrzelka art at complum.com
Sun Jun 15 19:37:46 EDT 2003

On Sunday 15 June 2003 15:14, Moyer, Richard wrote:
> to turn yellow.  Is it OK to harvest all these older leaves before they
> yellow and rot?  Can I remove 1/2 of total leaves again?  How many times
> per season?

Here in Iowa, Zone 5, the old wisdom says to stop picking on Memorial Day.
After that it starts getting less tasty. Not as juicy, tougher not crispy. I
don't have a good rule of thumb about how much you can pick. There will
always be some smaller stalks that aren't big enough to pick yet that you can
leave for the plant to grow with.

Memorial Day is/was the traditional time to make piestengel [rhubarb wine] out
of it. You can still get enough for a pie or two after that. I wouldn't pick
anything that had yellow leaves.

When you say leaves, I am reading stalks. Is that right?

Does it still taste good in your pies?
--
Art Petrzelka
Amana, Iowa