[NAFEX] Rain and Apricot

nottke nottke1 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 14 10:55:02 EDT 2003

>I thought I would have a nice apricot crop this year, but
>nearly every fruit has a "bad spot" usually at the lowest
>spot on the fruit (i.e. where the water dripped off).  It's
>mainly on the surface but the fruit where it's the worst, it
>makes a crater in the fruit.

Chris, I have had the same problem on my plums this year - a small dark
colored spot or crater at the drip point of the fruit - occurred on more
than half the fruit, not a serious problem this year because I had to thin
off about 80% of the fruit set.  Sour cherries and sweet cherries were OK
and the peaches are looking good.  Like you, we have been wet and cold;
180% of average rainfall ytd and second coldest May on record.
Last 2 weeks have been warmer, but it has rained all but one day.

Jim Nottke
Pfafftown, NC 27040
Hardiness Zone 7A