[NAFEX] Re: Scion wood length

Console G4 tfnews at gate.net
Fri Jun 13 13:25:52 EDT 2003

Hi Gordon,

The 'best' scion wood length will vary from species to species and with type of
plant as well. My experiences are with tropical and subtropical plants. Here in
Florida mango, avocado, white sapote, citrus, and everything else I have ever
seen are done with scion wood about 6-8 inches long. Many grafters would get
three plants done from your 15" piece of scion wood if it were a rare variety.

What a difference between temperate and tropicals. One of the reasons I love
horticulture and botany.

You had 70F? We had 96 yesterday with rain. (I have too much empathy with
lobsters to eat them :) ). Like everyplace else, its either too hot, wet, dry or
cold here for my plants. Today at 1:30 pm its a balmy 88.9.

Best of growing,

Bob - SW Florida
Rare fruit site:
www.gate.net/~tfnews