[NAFEX] Scion wood length.

Gordon Nofs gc_nofs at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 11:08:10 EDT 2003

   Back in early spring there was questions of proper length to use for
scion wood for grafting. I was out doing some grafting on April 14th. I had
2 scions I had cut that day that were long. These were all apple grafts to
the same tree. One I grafted at 23 inches long about a 1/4 inch at the
graft, the other was 15 inches long. These were splice grafts wrapped in
rubber strips and only the graft covered in parafilm. I had also done couple
other grafts same tree that were down to 1 bud long. All the grafts took and
are growing. All the buds to the end are in leaf. Only puzzling thing was a
Shiawassee apple graft done the same day I t didn't look like it was going
to take. 6 weeks later all the buds are in leaf. It was a 6 inch long near
3/8ths dia. I also did another for someone else month later, and it took
twice as long as other apple grafts that day.
  We have had a very unusual spring up till now. Lately 50s at night and we
may hit 70 today.
Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.
Zone 5