[NAFEX] Grape Vines and Japanese Beetles

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu Jun 12 09:37:30 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 12:42 PM, Scott Williamson wrote:

I just planted three grape vines this spring and have read that Japanese
Beetles take a liking to them.  I was wondering if anyone knew if I
should be real concerned about them or not.  I have only lived at my
current location about a year and didn't notice a large number of them
last year, but it could have been an off season for them.  I am trying
to go organic with my property and would like to avoid spraying if
possible.  I'm assuming that once the vines get larger they can handle
minor problems, but I don't really want the find them defoliated the
first year I've had them planted.  Any suggestions and/or info would be
much appreciated.

Scott Williamson
central Indiana
zone 5

You may not have any problem; it might depend on pressure on your
particular property, and/or on the variety of grape, but grapes grown
organically here (Finger Lakes NY zone 5) often are fine without any
insecticide.

Surround sounds as if it might be a good idea, if the pressure is heavy;
as these are new vines and should not be bearing yet, the problem with
removing it from the fruit won't be an issue.

  I know they were there because there were some weeds they REALLY liked
that were completely defoliated when I would come across, but I never
saw lots of them.

It's possible that these weeds are more attractive to them than the
grapes are, in which case you may have little problem. I would keep that
particular weed well cleaned out right around the grapes; and maybe
leave a patch of it some distance away to attract the beetles away from
the grapes.

-- Rivka