[NAFEX] Grape Vines and Japanese Beetles

hector black hblack at twlakes.net
Wed Jun 11 18:58:26 EDT 2003

They can really do a job on grapes.  French hybrids are their favorite, but
labrusca hybrids get pretty well chewed on here.  We walk out in the early
morning when they are too cool to fly and knock them off into buckets
(small) of soapy water where they quickly drown.
    I've heard that granite dust (waste from a granite tombstone maker)
dusted on the foliage early in the day when dew is still there, will deter
them.   Hope to try that this year.
    Milky spore is an OK organic practice, but there have been bad batches
of the stuff.  That should be improved by now.
    Hector Black  zone 6 middle TN