[NAFEX] Seabuckthorn Uses

miekal and dtv at mwt.net
Wed Jun 11 16:45:33 EDT 2003

This is why I want to get a bunch more seedlings going, as I only have
about 8-10 in my planting & want to make sure I have some males among
them.  I know Green World sells some of the varieties selected for
fruit, but I seem to remember them being in the $30/per plant range.
(Have yet in my life to spend that much for a plant, even a grafted
one.)  Im much more interested in growing out from seed myself.

As for being invasive, I've seen this discussion crop up on a number of
lists over the years.  It grows as a thicket & its reported to spread a
lot more readily on very sandy soils.  Permaculture folks plant it also
for erosion control on stream banks.  Here in WI Im in the land of
heavy clay soils, 5 year old plants are maybe 4 feet high & showing no
signs of suckering.  It is after all in the buckthorn family, so it's
inherited a bit of the reputation of buckthorns to get out of control.

mIEKAL