[NAFEX] Hail Damage

Dr. Ethan Natelson natelson at pipeline.com
Mon Jun 9 22:43:29 EDT 2003

Dear Joe,

     I would second the idea of spraying the pears for fireblight control.
If you look at the trees in a few weeks you will see linear splits in the
bark about 1/2 inch long on many small branches.  You do not notice these at
first, paying more attention to fruit and leaves.  These are a good sites
for bacterial entry.  It is amazing how every pear will have sustained at
least one direct hit. Often they do not fall, but remain deformed and
eventually become food for the squirrels.

     As my wife remarked when this happened to my best pear crop ever, a few
years ago, "aren't you glad you don't do this for a living".  It did not
make me feel any better.

                                  Regards, Ethan