[NAFEX] More Peaches Drop

Don Yellman dyellman at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 00:00:38 EDT 2003

Dylan:

It did not occur to me that you might be talking about very young peach
trees, perhaps having set their first crops of peaches.  If that is the
case, fruit drop at a very early stage is normal.  The trees will start
to hold their fruit when they are ready to do so, and you will easily
notice the difference, since they begin to grow very quickly.  That is
also when you should start to thin so that the peaches can reach their
design size and quality, rather than wait for natural drop.  Whether
seedling trees will produce really good peaches is a tossup, although I
have a tree that grew from a Lovell rootstock that does produce
excellent peaches.

If you decline to utilize 'cides of any kind, you may have some
interesting encounters with the oriental fruit moth.  This insect is
hard enough to keep off the peaches even when using available chemical
assistance.  OFM is my least favorite insect.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA