[NAFEX] Doc's Prose

Tom Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Sun Jun 8 18:18:41 EDT 2003

           Virgil (70-19 BCE)
           Virgil (Publius Vergilius Maro) was a great poet and the leading naturalist of his
time.
           Below translation by John Dryden (1631-1700)

          "But various are the ways to change the state
          Of plants, to bud, to graff, to inoculate.
          For, where the tender rinds of trees disclose
          Their shooting germs, a swelling knot there grows:
          Just in that space a narrow slit we make,
          Then other buds from bearing tress we take;
          Inserted thus, the wounded rind we close,
          In whose moist womb the admitted infant grows.
          But when the smoother bole from knots is free;
          We make a deep incision in the tree,
          And in the solid wood the slip inclose;
          The battening bastard shoots again and grows;
          And in short space the laden boughs arise;
          With happy fruit advancing to the skies.
          The mother plant admires the leaves unknown
          Of alien trees, and apples not her own."