[NAFEX] spring hopes

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Jun 8 09:02:02 EDT 2003

Grapes:  I'm all excited,  Despite our soggy cold spring, my Canadice
grape vine looks very happy.  Last year it had one or two fruiting
tendrils that all shriveled up and fell off.  This year nearly every
growing point has the start of a fruiting tendril.  Maybe I'll get a
crop!  Even if half of them fall off, it would be lots of fruit.
(Also, I was careful to keep the corn gluten away from its base this
year, so its soil shouldn't be as nitrogen-rich as last year.  That
might help, too.)

Strawberries:  I picked a red, ripe strawberry yesterday!  As some of
you might recall, this is a rarety in my garden, as the chipmunks
usually get them when they turn white.  Lots more coming - we'll see
how it goes.  It may help that the cat likes to lounge on the
flagstones in the garden.

(On a sadder note, one of my cats was killed a month ago by a larger
animal.  He wouldn't come in at night, and that seems to be when it
happened.  No idea what animal it might have been.  The cat was badly
wounded on the haunch, but the whole body was found, which seems
unlikely for coyote prey.  The remaining cat still goes outside during
the day, but her curfew is a couple hours earlier than it was.  She may
end up an indoor cat - unlike the deceased male, she would probably
adjust to that.  Although she has taken to trying to sneak out.)

Currants:  Despite the non-stop rain, the currant bushes have all set
large crops.  Last year the chipmunks and birds got all of it, but
there may be enough to share this year.

Blueberries:  Heavy bloom, but I'm not sure how much fruit set.  The
steady rain may be more problematic for them than for the currants.
The Rubel is still holding half its blossoms, which I assume means they
haven't been pollinated yet.  Friday was a fine warm day, so perhaps
some bees visited.

Best,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6, with a fully restored water table after last year's
drought!