[NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 06:17:16 EDT 2003

'Bradford' and perhaps other callery seedlings of Bradford may not be a "problem" much longer.  I started seeing severe fireblight in a row of Bradfords near the RDU airport a few years ago and this year I've seen more blight-stricken Bradfords in neighborhoods.  It would not surprise me to learn that E. amylovora had mutated to form a new strain that infects formerly resistant callerys.

I hope that I am mistaken and these infected trees are actually seedlings of a susceptible callery strain that were mislabelled (but I doubt it considering the dominance of Bradford in the nursery trade).

Anton