[NAFEX] Bradford pear seedlings as invasive species

nottke nottke1 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 6 11:35:27 EDT 2003

>Did you give any thought to limbing them up and topworking to good fruiting
>selections?  I'd be inclined to do that if(or when) they start popping up
>in my pastures, but then, I guess I'd have to be concerned about choke or
>rumen overload, when the cows start eating the fruits that drop to the ground.

Lucky,
Topworking was suggested to me, but the rogue pears were not in good fruit
tree management locations, most bordered my creek bottom, which is 100 ft
down and a quarter mile from the house and orchard.  Also, I already get
far more pears than we can consume in a year from the five trees in the
orchard.

Jim Nottke
Piedmont of NC, where we just picked the last of the pie cherries, the
first Santa Rosa plum of the season, and the American Persimmon blossoms
are dropping.