[NAFEX] "Bartlett" pears in the south

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Thu Jun 5 20:12:25 EDT 2003

Wouldn't you love to dunk a few executives of such companies in rotten
fruit.  I cringe to think of how many mislabled trees that is going to make
in the years ahead.  Though with luck they will all die before they can add
to the confusion.  Obviously, I am no fan of places that sell deliberately
mislabled stock.

    I talked to David
Lockwood again a month or two back, and he told me that the McMinnville
nurserymen sell all their leftover fruit trees at a discount to the big
discount chains.  They are generally asked not to put labels on the trees,
as the chain will supply their own.  As you can well imagine, that is
Bartlett labels for all the pears, Elberta for all the peaches, Golden or
Red Delicious for all the apples, hmm, what would they have for plums?  You
get the idea anyway.   Donna